Children’s Ministry ~ Creating space for children to experience and grow with God through sacred stories, spiritual practices, exploration of Christian values, and intergenerational relationships
Join us for Virtual Sunday School
Sunday School on April 11, 18 & 25 will be a series of Sacred Stories led by friends and members of SPUCC via Zoom. We won't have Sunday School in May, but be on the lookout for a series of outdoor gatherings after worship called "St. Paul's Summer Sabbath," starting May 23.
- Explorers (infants and toddlers) | Our Explorers Team Leaders and their assistants provide nurturing care for our youngest ones.
- Adventurers (Age 3–Kindergarten) and Trailblazers (Grades 1-4) | Children explore Sacred Stories in the tradition of Godly Play. Using beautiful hand-crafted materials, we hear and wonder together about Bible stories. Children also have time and space to respond individually.
- Journeyers (Grades 5-8) | Our 'tweens develop relationships with God and each other through conversation and spiritual practices.
On the first Sunday of each month, children age 3–Grade 5 join together for Chapel Time (story, song, prayer and service projects in a beloved sacred space) before returning to the Sanctuary to participate in Holy Communion with people of all ages.
Our Sunday Morning Schedule
- 10:20 | The Explorers Room opens for infants and toddlers. Families may also bring infants and toddlers into worship for part or all of the 10:30 service.
- 10:30 | Children attend the first part of our worship service with their families. Children’s activity bags and a reading area are available during the service. As needed, a parent and baby can step away to our Comfort Room and continue to hear the service.
- 11:00 | Midway through worship, children age 3–Grade 5 depart for Chapel Time or Sunday School. Children of any age may also remain in the Sanctuary for the whole service. (During the academic year, youth in Grades 6-12 have Youth Group on Wednesday evenings. During the stay-at-home period of the pandemic, Sunday School and Wednesday Youth Group are meeting virtually via Zoom.)
- 11:30 | Fair Trade Coffee Hour. People of all ages enjoy good food and company (via Zoom during the pandemic).
Our Mission and Vision
- To nurture the spiritual growth of children through sacred stories of the Old and New Testaments, service to others, and spiritual practices of our Christian faith and heritage.
- We embrace children in a Christian community where they feel unconditionally loved.
- Children experience the wonder and mystery of God.
- The stories of the Bible come to life through wondering, play, and the arts.
- Children participate in mission projects for the church, community, and world.
- Children and parents move along unique spiritual paths, supported by staff and volunteer partners in ministry.
Each year, children share the Christmas story with us in a beautiful way!
Family Ministry ~ Connecting faith companions across generations and empowering parents as faith formers
Parents Share is a monthly gathering for supportive conversation among parents of children and youth. Our conversations are guided by our participants. We invite all parents to join our supportive, open circle. Childcare is provided.
Our Milestones Program partners children and adults as Faith Companions. Starting at age 3 and continuing through Confirmation in Grade 8 or 9, each young person develops a relationship with an adult Faith Companion. All children of a particular age gather for one Milestone Event each year with parents and Faith Companions, exploring a core practice of our Christian faith (prayer, Holy Communion, Baptism, worship, etc.). Faith Companions have long-term positive impacts on each other’s lives. An adult Faith Companion commits to greet the child in passing at church, acknowledge birthdays or graduations, and attend one 1-1/2-hour Milestone Event together each year.
SPUCC Children, Youth, and Families Facebook Group
Our Facebook group is a space for connection among parents and partners in ministry with children, youth, and families at St. Paul's UCC. In this forum, we share joyful and difficult news, prayer requests, and invitations to events in the wider community.
If you're interested in learning more about our Children and Family Ministries at St. Paul’s UCC, please contact the church office (651-224-5809).