Children’s Ministry ~ Creating space for children to experience and grow with God through sacred stories, spiritual practices, exploration of Christian values, and intergenerational relationships
- Explorers (infants and toddlers) Our Explorers Team Leader, Calli Hunter, and assistants provide nurturing care for our youngest ones.
- Adventurers (Ages 3-5, PreK), Pathfinders (Grades K-2), and Trailblazers (Grades 3-4) Children explore Sacred Stories in the tradition of Godly Play. Using beautiful hand-crafted materials, we hear and wonder together about Bible stories. Children also have time and space to respond individually
- Journeyers (Grades 5-7) Our 'tweens develop relationships with God and each other through conversation and spiritual practices.
On the first Sunday of each month, children age 3–Grade 8 join together for Chapel Time (story, song, prayer and service projects in a beloved sacred space) before returning to the Sanctuary to participate in Holy Communion with people of all ages.
Our Sunday Morning Schedule
- 10:20 | The Explorers Room opens for infants and toddlers. Families may also bring infants and toddlers into worship for part or all of the 10:30 service.
- 10:30 | Children attend the first part of our worship service with their families. Children’s activity bags and a reading area are available during the service. As needed, a parent and baby can step away to our Comfort Room and continue to hear the service.
- 11:00 | Midway through worship, children age 3–Grade 8 depart for Sunday School. Children of any age may also remain in the Sanctuary for the whole service.
- 11:30 | Fair Trade Coffee Hour (people of all ages enjoy good food and company)
Our Mission and Vision
- To nurture the spiritual growth of children through sacred stories of the Old and New Testament, service to others, and spiritual practices of our Christian faith and heritage.
- We embrace children in a Christian community where they feel unconditionally loved.
- Children experience the wonder and mystery of God.
- The stories of the Bible come to life through wondering, play and the arts.
- Children participate in mission projects for the church, community, and world.
- Children and parents move along unique spiritual paths, supported by staff and volunteer partners in ministry
Each year, children share the Christmas story with us in a beautiful way!
Family Ministry ~ Connecting faith companions across generations and empowering parents as faith formers
Parents Share is a once-a-month gathering for supportive conversation among parents of children and youth. We meet in the Sacred Stories Room from 12:15-12:45. Our conversations are guided by our participants. We invite all parents to stop in and join our supportive, open circle. Childcare is provided in the Great Hall and the Explorers Room.
Our Milestones Program partners children and adults as Faith Companions. Starting at age 3 and continuing through Confirmation in Grade 8 or 9, each young person develops a relationship with an adult Faith Companion. All children of a particular age gather for one Milestone Event each year with parents and faith companions, exploring a core practice of our Christian faith (prayer, Holy Communion, Baptism, worship, etc.). Faith Companions have long-term positive impacts on each other’s lives. An adult Faith Companion commits to greet the child in passing at church, acknowledge birthdays or graduations, and attend one 1-1/2-hour Milestone Event together each year.
SPUCC Children, Youth, and Families Facebook Group
Our Facebook group is a space for connection among parents and partners in ministry with children, youth and families at St. Paul's UCC. It is a forum where we share joyful and difficult news, prayer requests and invitations to events in the wider community.